Hello my name is Aeron Hockenberry. I am in the Transitions Program at GIade Run. I am a 20 year old adult with Autism Spectrum Disorder (mild) and I also have Epilepsy. I had a late diagnosis of ASD at the age of 12.
In my free time, I enjoy reading Manga and comics. I also love gaming and am in the process of writing a graphic novel with my dad called, “Steel Phoenix”. I currently live at home with my mother and father in Beaver County. In the fall of 2017, I plan to live in the dorms and study AST Networking and Telecommunications Technology at Hiram G. Andrews Center in Johnstown, PA.
Being accepted as an adult with ASD has been a challenge, because people often still treat me like a child. I am learning to speak for myself and show people that my hopes and dreams matter.
10 Things I want you to know about me as an individual with ASD:
- I have a vast knowledge of the Star Wars franchise.
- I feel uncomfortable and awkward greeting others.
- I am a video game connoisseur.
- I am a little shy at first, but once you get to know me I have a great sense of humor and am smart.
- I adore animals, especially cats and horses.
- I do not like conflict of any kind.
- Unlike others with ASD, I am not a picky eater. Someday, I would like to try octopus.
- Even though I have a hard time making eye contact, that does not mean I am not listening or being disrespectful.
- I have a seizure disorder. At one point, I had over 1,500 seizures daily. Luckily now, I have been 1 year seizure free.
- I am an extremely compassionate person and show a great amount of empathy towards all manners of life.
Everybody has a different idea of “Normal”. Everybody aspires to achieve different goals. And though it may be more of a challenge for me to obtain my goals, I plan to be just as successful in life as anyone else.
I plan to obtain my dream career in the computer field and someday be married with children.